Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Noah's birth story

This little guy was apparently itching to come into the world. I felt much more uncomfortable with this pregnancy than with my other two, and I just had the feeling that I would not make it to my scheduld C-section on April 15th. However, I NEVER dreamed that our newest addition would make an appearance this early.

Yesterday morning, we said good-bye to Brian's mom (Grammy), who had come to help us out with the kids over spring break. I was supposed to be resting as much as possible. Fast forward a few hours and we headed to church. I felt fine. I was sore and moving around a little slow, but nothing that I thought was unusual. We went out to dinner, came home and put the kids to bed, and relaxed on the couch. I noticed the contractions around 10, and they reminded me a lot of the ones I had a couple weeks ago. They were uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I told Brian to time them. They were 5-7 minutes apart. Again, I wasn't thinking labor, because a few weeks ago I was having a contraction every 10 minutes, like clockwork, for 5 days straight! By midnight, they were still every 5 minutes, but they were getting really uncomfortable. I would get out of bed to walk around and see if they would stop, but that would only make them come closer. Bri kept asking if I wanted to go to the hospital, but I didn't want to go to the hospital... plus I was thinking, what in the world are we going to do about the kids?!

By 2 am, I was sobbing in bed. One, because the pain was insane. Two, because I knew something was actually happening and I didn't want to admit that this baby might be coming so early. Brian got up, flipped on the lights and started making phone calls. With Aaron on his way to stay with the kids, Brian packed a bag and called the clinic. 15 minutes later we were on I-10 and headed to the hospital.

The next 3 hours were AWFUL. I sat in the L&D waiting room... in labor... in an uncomfortable chair... for TWO HOURS. (Apparently there was an emergency ahead of me and no triage nurses available.) We finally made it into a bed and I was hooked up to a monitor at around 4:30 am. The most horrible nurse on the planet (seriously I think Bin Laden would have had a nicer bedside manner) checked me, said nothing, and walked out. She came back 5 minutes later and said, you're in labor, we paged a surgeon. That's it. No explanation, no discussion about whether or not we could stop the labor. I asked if my Doctor had been called and I was told that he would not be called because he wasn't "on call." Side note - my doctor is the Chief Medical Officer for the hospital and I'm pretty sure he's NEVER on call. Regardless, he would have definitely shown up had they notified him. It was two days later when one of my nurses called him after I requested him again and he was livid. I'm pretty sure some heads rolled on the L&D floor that afternoon as he made his way around asking for names and explanations. I tried to warn Nurse Ratchett...

Anyway, so there I was in a triage bed waiting on a surgeon I'd never met. I STILL hadn't spoken to a doctor. The nurse informed me that I was 5 centimeters and the surgeon would be at the hospital in 30 minutes or so. The pain was getting worse, but all I could do was wait. I was pretty freaked out to say the least. The rest of the morning was a bit of a fog until they walked me to the O.R. There are no words to describe how happy I was to see the anesthesiologist. I bet I was a 7 or 8 by the time they gave me that spinal. Minutes later, Brian was next to me and they were delivering a baby, a sweet little BOY! I saw him for a minute before he was whisked off to the NICU.

I spent the rest of the day recovering and sending Brian back and forth to the NICU to get reports for me (I wasn't allowed out of bed until atleast 12 hours after my surgery). It was really hard to not get to hold or even see my little boy, but I am grateful that he is here and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers